Wednesday, February 7, 2018

His First Rodeo:Fort Myers Pro Rodeo

by Alisha Diaz



I'm so excited! I could scream! The Fort Myers Pro Rodeo usually happens every February. Knowing it was coming up I was constantly checking online and on Facebook to see when it was coming. I kept coming up with nothing. I couldn't find anything on Facebook, and the website hadn't been changed since last year. I was sooooo bummed. I figured that the place was too damaged by the hurricane that they couldn't have the rodeo. BUT YESTERDAY IT HAPPENED! They posted that the rodeo is going to be in March, and it has been announced on Facebook. I was so stoked. I sent a bunch of my friends the advertisement, and I can't wait to go.

LINK: https://www.fortmyersprorodeo.com/



Last year was Moises' first ever rodeo. We went all out! I "made him" put on his cowboy jeans, his country styled t-shirt, his cowboy hat, and last but not least, his boots! He looked great, and I dressed accordingly as well. For those who know me well in person... I talked this thing up as I always do! I told him all about the horses, the cowboys, the bulls, the sheep, the food! Everything! It's one of my favorite events all year, and I was so excited to share this experience with my love, especially since it was his first time. I wanted to write about our experience before, but I was not about to post about an event that wasn't going to happen anymore. Since that changed, I would love to share our experience with you and give you an idea of what to expect when you go to a rodeo. Let me give you a few tips first.


My main suggestion is to ARRIVE EARLY. I can not emphasize this enough. You will get first dibs on parking, be able to get your tickets smoothly, and be able to pick the best spot for your group. The bleachers will fill up before you know it, and you do not want to have to split up your group. That is a big mood killer. It should be a fun night out with your friends and family, and it shouldn't be a time to stress. Also, keep in mind, there are two sides where you can sit. In the picture above you can see how the other side is getting packed, but our side is fairly empty at the time. The bleachers are not the most comfortable seats, so if you bring a bleacher pad or something to sit on, it will help.

Bring cash! There will be gifts, games, and food available. Many vendors do not accept cards, so be prepared. I like to come prepared, because you can get the best-fried Oreos you've ever tasted! Seriously, the Oreos are amazing. You also might want to buy a hot chocolate if it happens to be freezing out, as it has for past rodeos. (Maybe not since it is in March)




Come expecting a good time. We always do! The entertainment is amazing. It's generally very clean fun and family approved. There is a rodeo clown and he's a hoot. There is a possibility of a dirty joke or two. Everyone is very respectful, and we start the night off with the national anthem and a prayer.



If you have never been to a rodeo before, you might be in for a shock! Most of the animals are huge! We start the night off with the cutest event. Mutten bustin! Little kids will be timed on how long they can ride a sheep. It may sound a little dangerous, because it is! All the kids are required to wear helmets. It's not actually worse than riding a bike. During the night there will be thrilling competition such as barrel racing, bull riding, steer wrestling, team roping, bareback, and saddle bronc. These athletes and trained professionals, and they are in a real stiff competition for a money prize. They risk their safety to compete, but they love doing it.



The animals are not being hurt during the process. The bulls buck due to a belt on their belly. It is pulled tight, and they hate that. I think we would too! It does not hurt them though. You may also think, these poor animals... they have to live in fenced in yards without being free. It is way better than being butchered into a hamburger. All jokes aside these animals are loved and well taken care of.


DO NOT let your kids hang on the fence or stand directly behind the fences. This goes for adults too. You will probably hear the announcer mention it a few time when he sees people doing it. This is for your own safety. Sometimes the bulls like to use the fences to knock the cowboys off. Though it might be a better view, the possibility of getting hurt is not worth it.


Moises had so much fun at the rodeo, and I'm glad it lived up to the expectations I put in his head. We were talking about it for weeks! This year we are hoping to get a large group to go and having a good time. You should go too! Check out the website for ticket information. It's $20 per adult and $10 per kid. You'll have a great time, and you'll see how impressive these competitors' skills are!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Delicious and Inexpensive Donuts: Nuts 4 Donuts

by Alisha Diaz Last weekend I had the amazing opportunity to try some amazing local donuts! Nuts 4 Donuts (Link: https://www.facebook....